Daystar is an American evangelical Christian-based religious television network that is owned by the Word of God Fellowship, founded by Marcus Lamb in 1993. Daystar is headquartered in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex in Bedford, Texas.
In 1984, Marcus and Joni Lamb (née Trammel) moved to Montgomery, Alabama to launch the state’s first full-power Christian television station, WMCF-TV. The Lambs built the station for the next 5 years and sold it in 1990 to the Trinity Broadcasting Network. They next moved to Dallas, Texas, where, in 1993, they purchased the formerly defunct KMPX. In 1996, with a large contribution from Kenneth Copeland Ministries, the Lambs purchased a station in Colorado, officially turning their television ministry into a network. In August 1997, the small staff moved into a 32,000-square-foot (3,000 m2) facility that included production studios; Daystar was officially launched on New Year’s Eve 1997.
On March 21, 2011, Daystar announced that it would downsize its production studios in Ashland, Kentucky; Houston, Texas; and Denver, Colorado, effective the following month; the facilities would continue to be used as transmitters, but not broadcasting centers. This, with studios now run by a limited technical staff, led to the layoff of an unknown number of Daystar employees.
Occasionally, Daystar broadcasts programs featuring the Lambs at church speaking engagements and broadcasts events such as Christians United for Israel summits. Daystar televises the week-long, semi-annual fundraising telethons titled Share-a-thon. Daystar also broadcasts Scaly Adventures, an educational show starring Pierce Curren. The Brazilian singer Ana Paula Valadão, vocalist and leader of the Ministry Before the Throne (Ministério Diante do Trono), from Brazil, has appeared several times on the TV channel.
Daystar broadcasts programs by ministers and speakers from around the world.
- Joni Table Talk – Joni Lamb’s daily show, Joni Table Talk, is presented by Lamb and co-hosts. The subjects covered include topics such as Christian spirituality, secular culture, music, health and fitness, marriage enrichment, recovery from various addictions, alternative lifestyles, parenthood, and psychological disorders.
- Check the Sound – Check the Sound is a half-hour program for young adults that airs on Friday and Saturday nights, hosted by the Lambs’ three children. Often, the program is devoted to airing new Christian music videos, live concerts or interviews.
- Gospel Music Showcase – Gospel Music Showcase is a southern gospel music program hosted by Guy Penrod, formerly of the Gaither Vocal Band.
- Love A Child – Love a Child is a 30-minute weekly program featuring missionaries Bobby and Sherry Burnette as they minister to the poorest of the poor in Haiti.
- Kingdom Connection – Kingdom Connection with Pastor Jentezen Franklin brings practical meaning to spiritual truths found in God’s Word.
- Joel Osteen